Mark 2:17 Healthy people don’t need a doctor, sick people do. The Bible teaches us how to receive healing and maintain health.
Health is central to human happiness and well-being. The information on this page is from:
- God’s Word (The Bible).
- Medical professionals, journals, and hospitals.
- CDC, FDA, USDA, Heart.org, Cancer.org and others.
- Dietitians and health advocates.
The Bible clearly reveals God is concerned about your spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being. This information is for believers and non-believers. If you are not a Christian visit the Good News page.
As you scroll down this page the following subjects are addressed:
- Fresh air
- Rest, Relaxation, and Sleep
- Drinking Water
God wants you healthy in mind, body, and spirit. 3Jo 2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
God cares about our health because:
- God created us and we are His children (Rom 8:16; Gal 3:26; 1Jo 3:1-2; 5:2).
- God loves us (John 3:16; 10:10; 1Jo 4:19).
- God wants us to have a long, healthy, happy, productive life (Psalm 91:16; Pro 3:1-2; 10:27).
- God cares for us and wants us to trust Him (Psa 108:12; 118:8; 1Pe 5:7).
- God created our bodies to be the temple of the Holy Spirit (Rom 12:1; 1Co 3:16-19; 6:19-20).
- God gave us many healing and health promises in the OT & NT (Isa 53:5; Act 10:38; Jam 5:14-16; 3Jo 1:2).
- God sent Jesus to die on the Cross to forgive all our sins and heal us (1Jo 1:7; Eph 1:7; 1Pe 2:24).
- During His earthly ministry Jesus healed multitudes of people who were physically and emotionally sick (Mat 4:23-24; 15:30-31).
1Co 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit in you, whom you have from God? And you are not your own, for you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. One of the ways you can display your love for God is by taking care of your body. Rom 12:1 Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
If you don’t take good care of your body it will have problems. 1Co 3:17 God will destroy anyone who destroys this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.
Health is better than healing:
Mar 2:17 Healthy people don’t need a doctor, sick people do. The word health refers to a state of complete emotional and physical well-being. Divine (heavenly, God-like) health is far superior to healing because when you are healthy you don’t need healing. God has made healing and health covenants for all those who believe in Him. All the healing miracles in the Bible produced health.
God has promised his children divine health if we meet certain conditions. You cannot treat your mind and body like a trash can and expect God to bless you with divine health. When we obey God’s Word He will be faithful to do His part:
- Exo 15:26 If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases (this is health) on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.
- Exo 23:25 Serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water. And I will take sickness away (this is health) from the midst of you.
- Deu 7:15 The Lord will remove from you all sickness. He will not lay upon you any of the terrible diseases you knew in Egypt, but He will inflict them on all who hate you (this is health).
- Psa 91:10 No evil will happen to you, and no plague will come near your dwelling (this is health).
- Psa 43:5 I will yet praise Him, who is the health of my countenance and my God.
- 3Jo 1:2 I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well.
Today, many churches do not teach healing from the Word of God. The churches that claim to teach healing often don’t and very few churches proclaim health.
God judged the Egyptians through Moses with ten plagues because the evil pharaoh would not let the Hebrews go free. God protected His people from plague number four through ten. Before plague number four in Exo 8:23 God said, I will put a division between my people and your people. Tomorrow this sign will happen. If God did this for His people under the OT how much more will He do for His children under the NT. Today believers have a better covenant, with better promises, and a better mediator, Jesus Christ (Heb 7:22; 8:6; 9:15; 12:24).
You are responsible for your health:
Everyone must accept the responsibility to take care of their own health. To take care is to be careful, cautious, responsible, efficient, watchful, attentive, alert and diligent. Many people like to place the responsibility for their health on a family member, doctor, friend, or church leader. Responsibility is defined as having important duties to fulfill, accepting accountability to fulfill obligations, subject to an authority which may administer retribution in the event of failure, neglect or error. No one enjoys sickness, therefore each of us must use caution and accept the responsibility for our health. Sickness is hazardous to your health. A hazard is a source of danger or harm and sickness can often be a life-threatening hazard. If while driving a car you see a road sign informing you of hazards ahead you proceed with caution or take another route. Likewise, you should avoid health hazards and maybe look at taking another route. God says you are responsible for your body. “That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honor. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God” 1Th 4:4; Rom 14:12.
You do not own yourself, God does. Do you not know that you are not your own? for you are bought with a price – 1Co 6:19-20. You do not own your body, God does. For all things were created by Him and for Him, and He is before all things, and by Him all things consist – Col 1:16-17. You were created by God and for God. You were created for the sole purpose of glorifying God and giving Him pleasure. You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for You have created all things, and for Your pleasure they are and were created. For it is God who works in you to will and to do of His good pleasure – Rev 4:11; Phi 2:13.
If you habitually break God’s law by living a life of sin you will reap what you sow by spending eternity in hell separated from God. If you break man’s law you will reap what you sow. For example, if you drive one hundred miles per hour through red stop lights you are going to reap what you sow by having a serious accident, killing or injuring yourself or someone else. Likewise, if you continually break natural laws and abuse your body by eating a poor diet, overworking and neglecting proper rest, relaxation, exercise, and sleep you will reap what you sow.
God has much to say about diet and over-eating in the Bible. We will see that God is interested in what you eat because He instituted nutritional laws or rules when He created man. Christians should be the healthiest people on earth.
Prevention is better than cure. Take good care of yourself because many diseases can be reversed by a change of lifestyle.
You are your best doctor: People who take good care of themselves – reduce or eliminate visits to a doctor. Practicing a healthy lifestyle can make a big difference to your physical and mental health. Lifestyle changes are very personal and only you can make the right decisions and set goals for yourself. The information on this page are to help you get healed and stay healthy.
Christians, food, and drink:
Christians in affluent countries are the worst eaters in the world! Unfortunately, today many believers dress, talk, behave, listen to worldly music, watch worldly movies, and eat like non-believers. Christians are told in 2Co 6:17, Therefore come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. 1Jo 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. Rom 12:2 Be not conformed to this world: but be transformed by the renewing of your mind; that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
For some reason church leaders completely ignore what the Bible says about God’s dietary instructions for man. In many churches today, believers are suffering physically and mentally because the truth about healing and health is not taught.
Christ is coming back for His Church, That He might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish – Eph 5:27. Is Jesus coming back for a Church that is sick, diseased, crippled, oppressed, suffering, and helpless or one that is full of power, strength, vitality and health?
Many Christians do not take good care of themselves. As a result of unhealthy habits, they are depressed, sick, suffering, and dying from the same diseases as unbelievers — and this should not be so.
You cannot blame the devil for everything, say “I lack the faith to be healed”, or blame God for not healing you. God is not going to do everything for you! When you work with God – He will work with you. Many Christians do not need to beg God or ask others to pray for their healing or deliverance — all they need to do is change their unhealthy ways to a healthier lifestyle. I know many Christians who have received healing by changing their unhealthy ways.
A Christian should follow Biblical principles and eat and drink differently by applying the following:
Knowledge: Knowledge is acquired by experience and education. God is the source of all knowledge and He knows everything about you (Psa 139). Job 21:22 Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest? Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Pro 10:21 Fools are destroyed by their lack of common sense. God will give you the knowledge to help you make wise healthy decisions.
Wisdom: Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied; it is the quality of having experience to apply information and good judgment. Dan 2:20 Wisdom and might are God’s. He will teach you how to apply knowledge wisely. Pro 8:33 Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Pro 9:11 By Wisdom your days will be multiplied, and the years of your life will be increased. Jam 1:5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.
Discernment: The ability to detect good from evil, true from false, and true from almost true (1Co 12:10). 1Jo 4:1 Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God. Your must exercise discernment before making healthy decisions.
Moderation: The ability to avoid excess. Phi 4:5 Let your moderation be known to all.
Self-control: The ability to control oneself, in particular one’s emotions, passions, and desires by showing self-restraint. The fruit of the Holy Spirit in your life is self-control (Gal 5:23). Pro 23:1-2 When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. 1Co 9:25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.
Discipline: Is a way to good health. A true disciple of Jesus Christ must be disciplined in every area of their life. 1Co 9:27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
Diligence: A diligent person is one who shows a painstaking steady effort, stays busy, is willing to do what is required, is hard working, persistent, industrious in everything they do. Pro 12:24 Diligent hands will rule but laziness ends in hard labor. Pro 13:4 The lazy person craves and gets nothing but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.
1Co 10:31 Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Eating and drinking man-made inferior foods and drinks will affect your physical and mental health in a negative way.
- Eating Fast Food: 9 Serious (and Unexpected) Side Effects – Dr. Axe (draxe.com)
- 17 Negative Effects of Fast Food on Your Body | Eat This Not That
- Junk food is the leading cause of death in the United States – World Today News (world-today-news.com)
Einstein said, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
We are witnesses for God:
Act 1:8 You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Does God want healthy or sick witnesses? Does God want physically strong or weak witnesses? Does God have a lower standard for His representatives than worldly businesses have for their workers?
The local church should be the healthiest place to visit – but it’s not! Unhealthy habits are the unspoken problem in churches today. The food and drink served at church functions says it all! Aren’t we the Body of Christ? Why do Christians do things to themselves that makes them obese, sick, tired, weak, depressed, and unproductive? God desires you to have a healthy body and mind so you can help built His church. When we are healthy, we can do more.
Church leaders will teach about the salvation of the soul and spirit but neglect to teach anything about maintaining health. All believers want to be healthy – but they don’t want to work at it. Phi 2:12 Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Pro 14:23 In all labor there is profit.
2Co 7:1 Let us clean ourselves from everything that defiles body and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
The devil is against anything good:
Joh 10:10 Jesus said, the thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy. If satan can oppress you, impair you, and shorten your life with a poor diet — he will! Most of the world’s food chain is not owned by Christians; and they do not care about your health at all. Grocery stores and pharmacies sell alcohol, tobacco products, medications with terrible side-effects, and bad foods and drinks manufactured by man. The devil wants you to be unhealthy, tired, weak, sickly, and unfruitful as a witness for Jesus Christ. He will use anything to bind you and shorten your life.
The devil used food to cause Adam and Eve to disobey God
Gen 3:1-7 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, Did God really say, You must not eat from any tree in the garden’? The woman said to the serpent, We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die. You will not certainly die, the serpent said to the woman. For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil. When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
The devil used food and drink to cause Israel to to sin against God and Moses several times
1). The people murmured against Moses, saying, What shall we drink? – Exo 15:24.
2). The whole congregation of the children of Israel murmured against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness: and the children of Israel said unto them, Would to God we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for you have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger – Exo 16:2-3.
3). Wherefore the people did chide (argue) with Moses, and said, Give us water that we may drink. And Moses said unto them, Why chide you with me? wherefore do you tempt the Lord? And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst? – Exo 17:2-3.
4). The multitude that was among them fell a lusting: and the children of Israel also wept again, and said, Who shall give us flesh to eat? We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlic – Num 11:4-5.
5). There was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron. And the people chode (argued) with Moses, and spake, saying….wherefore have you made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in unto this evil place? it is no place of seed, or of figs, or of vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink – Num 20:2-5.
6). The people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water – Num 21:5.
The devil used food to tempt Jesus Christ
Luk 4:1-4 Jesus ate nothing. And the devil said to Him, If You are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread. But Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, Man will not live by bread alone but by every Word of God.
The devil is using food and drink today to destroy lives
The devil is the god of this world (2Co 4:4) and sinful people under his control have corrupted the earth’s air, water, and food supply. The devil is destroying people in poor countries with polluted water, malnutrition, and starvation; and shortening people’s lives in affluent countries with water that contains toxic chemicals, manufactured drinks that are void of nutrition, and a diet of processed foods filled with excessive salt, sugar, additives, preservatives, and chemicals. Today many people suffer from obesity; and food disorders such as binging, anorexia, bulimia, and purging.
Food advertisements are everywhere! TV, radio, internet, social media, newspapers, magazines, and billboards are filled with advertisements for food and drink and most of the products advertised are unhealthy! Do not be preoccupied with food. Joh 6:27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you.
Many people will take a doctors advice regarding medications and surgery but reject a doctors advice regarding lifestyle changes.
A Christian who does not take care of their body won’t go to hell. However, living an unhealthy lifestyle will keep them sick, weak, fatigued, and could shorten their lifespan. Phi 3:18-19 Many live a enemies of the Cross of Christ. Their god is their appetite and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things.
Boost your immune system:
The medical profession says that one of the best defenses against disease and viruses including COVID-19 is a strong immune system. The CDC says the following can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19:
- Weakened immune system.
- Excessive weight, obesity.
- Certain medical conditions.
- Certain Medical Conditions and Risk for Severe COVID-19 Illness | CDC
- How to boost your immune system – Harvard Health
The immune system is made up of special organs, cells and chemicals that fight infection (microbes). How to strengthen your immune system:
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Minimize stress.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently, wearing a mask, don’t touch your face, and practice social distancing.
The media covered COVID-19 24 hours a day from when it started. However, they never once recommended that we should optimize our health by eating healthy and exercising. With God’s help you can achieve perfect health as a defense against the virus. Many health officials are saying that COVID-19 could be with us for a very long time.
- 6 Tips to Enhance Immunity | CDC
- 7 simple steps to boosting energy – Mayo Clinic
- 15 foods to boost the immune system (medicalnewstoday.com)
- How to boost your immune system | MD Anderson Cancer Center
Why not use the global pandemic as a real good reason to improve your health.
What does God eat?
1Ti 6:17 God richly provides all things for us to enjoy. God created a great variety of food and drink for us to enjoy. They must be healthy because God has also eaten them.
In Gen 18:6-8 God and two angels had a meal with Abraham, So Abraham hurried into the tent and said to Sarah, Quick! Prepare three measures of fine flour, knead it, and bake some bread. Meanwhile, Abraham ran to the herd, selected a tender and choice calf, and gave it to a servant, who hurried to prepare it. Then Abraham brought curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and he set them before the men and stood by them under the tree as they ate.
In Exo 24:9-11 God had a meal with Moses and the 70 leaders of Israel on a mountain, Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and they saw the God of Israel. Under His feet was a work like a pavement made of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself. But God did not lay His hand on the nobles of Israel; they saw Him, and they ate and drank.
Many of the following foods found in the Bible were eaten by Jesus during His earthly ministry.
- Anise (Mat 23:23)
- Coriander (Exo 16:31; Num 11:7)
- Cinnamon (Exo 30:23; Rev 18:13)
- Cumin (Isa 28:25; Mat 23:23)
- Dill (Mat 23:23)
- Garlic (Num 11:5)
- Herbs (Gen 1:29)
- Mint (Mat 23:23; Luke 11:42)
- Mustard (Mat 13:31)
- Rue (herb with bitter leaves – Luk 11:42)
- Salt (Ezr 6:9; Job 6:6)
Fruits & Nuts
- Apples (Sos 2:5)
- Almonds (Gen 43:11; Num 17:8)
- Dates (2Sa 6:19; 1Ch 16:3)
- Figs (Neh 13:15; Jer 24:1-3)
- Grapes (Lev 19:10; Deu 23:24)
- Melons (Num 11:5; Isa 1:8)
- Olives (Isa 17:6; Mic 6:15)
- Nuts and fruit (Gen 1:29)
- Pistachio Nuts (Gen 43:11)
- Pomegranates (Num 20:5; Deu 8:8)
- Raisins (Num 6:3; 2 Sam 6:19)
- Sycamore Fruit (Psa 78:47; Amo 7:14)
Vegetables & Legumes
- Beans (2Sa 17:28; Eze 4:9)
- Cucumbers (Num 11:5)
- Gourds (2Ki 4:39)
- Leeks (Num 11:5)
- Lentils (Gen 25:34; 2Sa 17:28; Eze 4:9)
- Onions (Num 11:5)
- Plants of the field (Gen 3:18)
- Pulse – mixed vegetables & grains (Dan 1:12).
- Bread (Gen 25:34; 2Sa 6:19; 16:1; Mat 7:9; 26:6; Mar 8:14; 14:22; Act 2:42-46; 20:7-11)
- Unleavened Bread (Gen 19:3; Exo 12:15-20; 34:18; Deu 16:8; Luk 22:1)
- Barley (Deu 8:8; Eze 4:9)
- Corn (Mat 12:1)
- Flour (2Sa 17:28; 1Ki 17:12)
- Millet (Eze 4:9)
- Spelt (Eze 4:9)
- Wheat (Ezr 6:9; Deu 8:8)
Today fish such as tuna, salmon, cod, haddock, red snapper, sardines and many others are high in protein and healthy omega fats, which can help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and provide many other health benefits.
- Num 11:5; Mat 7:10; 15:36; Luk 11:11; 24:42; Joh 21:9-13.
- Partridge (1Sa 26:20; Jer 17:11)
- Pigeon (Gen 15:9; Lev 12:8)
- Quail (Psa 105:40)
- Dove (Lev 12:8)
- Calf (Pro 15:17; Luk 15:23)
- Goat (Gen 27:9)
- Lamb (2Sa 12:4)
- Oxen (1Ki 19:21)
- Sheep (Deu 14:4)
- Venison (Gen 27:7 KJV)
Dairy from Cows & Goats
- Butter (Gen 18:8; Deu 32:13; Pro 30:33)
- Cheese (2Sa 17:29; Job 10:10)
- Curds (Isa 7:15)
- Milk (Exo 33:3; Job 10:10; Jud 5:25)
- Eggs (Job 6:6; Luk 11:12)
- Grape Juice (Num 6:3)
- Raw Honey (Gen 43:11; Exo 33:3; Deu 8:8; Jud 14:8-9; Luk 24:42)
- Olive Oil (Ezr 6:9; Deu 8:8)
- Vinegar (Rut 2:14; Joh 19:29)
- Water (Joh 4:9-10; Mar 9:41; Dan 1:12)
- Juice of grapes on the vine are called “new wine” in Isa 65:8; so wine in the Bible may not always be intoxicating (Gen 14:18; Joh 2:1-11; 1Ti 5:23)
Peculiar and Miraculous Food & Drink
- Fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Gen 2:9; 17)
- Fruit from the tree of life (Gen 2:9; 3:22-24; Rev 2:7; 22:14)
- Manna (Exo 16:31-35)
- Water from a Rock on two different occasions (Exo 17:6; Num 20:11)
- Wine miraculously created from water (Joh 2:1-11)
- Gold dust (Exo 32:19-20)
- Miraculous bread and water in the desert (Gen 21:14-19; Num 20:11)
- Two-sided scroll (Eze 2:8 – 3:3)
- Angel cakes (1Ki 19:3-9)
- Diet of grass (Dan 4:33)
- Bread and meat from ravens (1Ki 17:1-6)
- Miraculous flour and oil (1Ki 17:10-16; 2Ki 4:1-7)
- Locusts (Mar 1:6)
- Miraculous loaves of bread and fish (2Ki 4:42-44; Mat 14:13-21; 15:32-39; Mar 6:30-44; 8:1-13; Luk 9:10-17; Joh 6:1-15)
Compare the above foods with what we eat today. Many of today’s healthiest known foods were part of the Biblical diet. One day all believers will enjoy a meal with God at the Marriage Supper (feast) of the Lamb (Rev 19:9). Don’t miss this meal for the world!
It is interesting to note that man, not God, has added numerous unhealthy foods to his diet such as: coffee, tea, soda, hamburgers, pasta, pizza, hot dogs, french fries, vinegar, processed sugar, donuts, numerous snack foods, and many other unhealthy foods filled with sugar, chemicals, additives, and preservatives.
Nutrition and health:
Exo 23:25 You will serve the Lord your God, and He will bless your bread and your water, and I will take sickness away from the midst of you. It is interesting that food and drink is followed by health, which is the absence of sickness.
Poor nutrition can impair your daily health and well-being and reduce your ability to lead an enjoyable and active life. Today the connection between good food and good health is indisputable. The food and drink you put in your body effects your energy levels and your emotions too.
In the short term, poor nutrition can contribute to stress, tiredness and our capacity to work, and over time, it can contribute to the risk of developing some illnesses and other health problems such as:
- Tooth decay.
- Weight gain and obesity.
- Shortness of breath.
- Heart disease and stroke.
- High cholesterol.
- High blood pressure and hypertension.
- Diarrhea and constipation.
- Digestive health issues.
- Respiratory problems.
- Weakness, fatigue, and low energy levels.
- Dementia – memory loss.
- Eating disorders.
- Weak immune system.
- Irritability and other maladies.
- Body aches and pains.
Good nutrition means your body gets all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals it needs to work its best.
- Eat Healthy and Get Active (cancer.org)
- Healthy Eating | American Heart Association
- Nutrition.gov | USDA
Steps to good nutrition are easier than you think because you have God on your side.
God's perfect diet for man:
Does God know more than us? Does He ever give us bad advice? Can man ever improve on God? Can man make healthier foods than God? The answer is no! Does God know what is best for our mind and body? The answer is yes!
God has given us a very simple delicious, healthy, and nutritious diet. Many people would not need healthcare if they changed their diet and ate healthier. If God was not interested in our health He would not have given us the following diet.
Diet defined: To diet is to eat less or to eat according to certain rules.
God gave us a very simple healthy nutritious diet as follows:
1. Fruits, nuts, and grains: Gen 1:29 God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. Gen 2:16 You are free to eat from every tree in the garden.
2. Vegetables and salads: Gen 3:18 You will eat the plants of the field.
3. Meat and fish: Gen 9:3 Everything that lives and moves about will be meat for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. But you must not eat meat with the lifeblood in it.
The death of Christ did not in any way affect or change the above dietary laws given to us by God. There are numerous diets available today, but God’s diet for us remains the best: Psa 18:30 As for God, His way is perfect; The Word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. God’s ways and thoughts are far superior to man’s: Isa 55:8-9 My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.
The New Testament does make it clear that observation of Old Testament food laws for the Jewish people are no longer required in the New Testament age of grace (Eph 2:8-10). Jesus Himself declared that all foods were “clean” (Mark 7:14-23).
What you should not eat:
To maintain health and extend your life:
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Do not use harmful substances as tobacco or drugs.
- Do not drink manufactured or caffeinated drinks.
- Do not eat unhealthy junk food, fast food, fried food, or snack foods.
- Do not eat processed and packaged foods that contain artificial colorings, artificial flavorings, artificial sweeteners, modified cornstarch, chemicals, pesticides, preservatives, corn syrup, MSG, stabilizers, excessive sugar, added sugars, excessive salt, and foods that are GMO. The word “artificial” means, “produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally.”
- Do not eat meat and poultry that contains chemicals, antibiotics, hormones, or steroids.
- Do not eat farm raised seafood as you do not know what they are fed.
- Do not eat processed packaged foods with a long list of ingredients. If you are not familiar with the ingredients on the label don’t eat it.
- Do not eat condiments (sauces, dressings, marinades, spreads etc.) that contain chemicals, coloring’s, preservatives, and large amounts of salt and sugar.
- Do not eat spicy foods that give you indigestion or heartburn.
- Do not eat frozen desserts with chemicals and sugar; or give you a headache or “brain freeze”.
- Do not eat smoked foods as they are a cancer risk.
- Do not eat or drink products with any artificial (fake) sweeteners.
- Do not eat dairy or foods that contain dairy if you are lactose intolerant.
- Do not eat foods that contain gluten if you are gluten-intolerant or suffer with Celiac disease.
You can do all things with God’s help (Phi 4:13).
What you should eat:
Organic foods: Gen 1:31 God looked upon all that He had made, and indeed, it was very good. He created organic vegetables and fruit without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or other artificial agents. In the United States organic crops must be grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers, or bio-engineered genes (GMOs). Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations.
- Organic 101: What the USDA Organic Label Means | USDA
- Organic Farming: 5 Major Benefits and How to Feed the World – Dr. Axe (draxe.com)
Organic free range meat (beef, chicken, lamb, turkey etc.): In Gen 1:26 God created domesticated cattle for food without added chemicals, antibiotics, hormones, or steroids. Organic free range meat simply means that the animals are allowed to graze on fresh grasses in a pasture like they naturally would. It also specifies how they are raised and what they are fed. The meat is better quality because of the healthier environment and diet.
Do your very best to follow the diet plan God gave to man – Isa 55:2 Eat what is good:
- Eat organic whole foods as they have not been heavily processed or refined.
- Eat organic fresh fruit.
- Eat organic raw vegetables such as carrots, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower etc.
- Eat organic whole grains such as oats, barley, rice, corn, etc.
- Eat organic legumes such as lentils, black beans, pinto beans, peanuts etc. – if they agree with you.
- Eat organic raw salted or unsalted nuts such as almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, etc.
- Eat organic sugar-free, sulphur-free, dried fruit such as prunes, figs, dates, mango, raisins etc. Eat dried fruit in moderation as they are very high in sugar.
- If you eat eggs buy organic farm raised free-range eggs.
- If you eat dairy buy organic cow or goat butter, cheese, milk, and yogurt.
- Eat seafood that is “wild-caught” snapper, red fish, cod, haddock, salmon, tuna, sardines etc. Avoid farm raised seafood as you don’t know what they’re fed.
- Eat organic range free meat that is free from chemicals, antibiotics, hormones, and steroids.
- Eat baked or grilled, not fried, meat, poultry, and seafood.
- Eat honey in moderation (Pro 25:16).
- Eat small healthy salted or salt-free snacks between meals such as fresh fruit, dried fruit, and nuts.
- Eat organic whole grain breads that are free of chemicals, additives, excessive salt, that have low sugar or no sugar.
- Drink good quality water.
- Drink home made organic fruit juices.
- Make your own condiments, sauces, and salad dressings with salt, organic herbs, spices, honey, lemon juice, and olive oil etc.
- Steer clear of excessive salt and products that contain sugar.
You can see from the above that God has given us a large variety of foods to enjoy. You won’t die of starvation when you choose to follow God’s diet for man. 1Co 10:31 Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
All about fats:
There are four main types of fat: saturated, trans, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fat.
Making heart healthy food choices and keeping a healthy body weight can help prevent and treat heart disease. Eating too much of any kind of fat is not good for your health. But when it comes to your heart, some types of fats are healthier for your heart than others. So how do you make smart choices? Learn how to recognize good fats and bad fats.
- The Skinny on Fats | American Heart Association
- Dietary fat: Know which to choose – Mayo Clinic
- Choosing Healthy Fats – HelpGuide.org
Always eat healthy fats.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread. If you eat bread do some investigation and buy the healthiest bread available. Most breads today are filled with rubbish.
Eat bread in moderation and look for breads that have:
- Organic ingredients.
- Minimal ingredients.
- Low salt.
- No sugar or low sugar.
- No additives or chemicals.
Some bread suggestions:
- Try some pita bread or middle eastern pocket bread. Do read labels.
- Try some Sprouted Flourless Bread | Food For Life | Ezekiel 4:9
- Bake your own bread, which gives you full quality control.
Gluten: People who suffer from gluten allergies or gluten intolerance should buy gluten free bread. A gluten-free diet involves excluding foods that contain the protein gluten, including wheat, rye and barley. Most studies on gluten-free diets have been done on people with celiac disease, but there is another condition called gluten sensitivity that also causes problems with gluten.
Approximately 80 million people worldwide have a problem digesting gluten.
There are many organic gluten-free breads and products on the market today that you can eat. However, they are often not organic, high in salt and sugar, and contain other unhealthy ingredients.
God never included dairy in our diet.
Cow milk products: In Exo 3:8 God said He would lead the children of Israel to a land flowing with milk and honey. Up to 70% percent of people in the world are unable to digest lactose. People who have lactose sensitivity or are lactose intolerant have digestive symptoms when they consume dairy products. Cow’s milk has a higher amount of lactose than milk from other animals.
- Lactose intolerance – Symptoms and causes – Mayo Clinic
- 9 Dairy Milk Brands To Buy, According to Nutritionists | Eat This Not That
Goat milk products: Pro 27:27 You will have plenty of goats milk to feed you and your family. Goat milk is the most commonly consumed type of dairy in the world. 72% of the world’s population consume milk, butter, cheese, and yogurt from goats. Goat milk is lower in lactose than cow milk. It is also thicker and creamier than cow milk or plant milk, and goat milk has more nutrients that offers additional health benefits. For example:
If you do consume dairy, purchase good quality organic products from animals that are farm raised and grass fed.
Man-made milk substitutes: If you cannot digest cow or goat products there are many non-dairy products on the market today. Soy, rice, coconut, oat, pea, cashew, almond and many others are available. Purchase a product that has natural minimal organic ingredients.
God never included eggs in our diet. Some doctors and dieticians recommend eggs while others reject them. Eggs are extremely high in cholesterol and saturated fat, which can clog your arteries and can lead to salmonella poisoning, heart disease, and obesity.
- Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol? – Mayo Clinic
- What You Need to Know About Egg Safety | FDA
If you do eat eggs do so in moderation; and eat organic farm raised free range-eggs.
Manage your salt (sodium) intake:
Jesus said salt is good (Mar 9:50; Luk 14:34). Throughout the Bible there are numerous references to salt (sodium chloride). Salt was used as a food preservative to maintain freshness as there was no refrigeration. It was also used to season food. Jesus compared believers to salt, You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. (Mat 5:13).
Listed below are some of the types of salt:
Table Salt: Is available iodized and non-iodized. Heavily processed and can contain anti-caking agents and other chemicals.
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt: Has been mined in St. Claire, MI, United States since 1886. A very good all purpose salt for your kitchen. It is a favorite of chefs worldwide. The Kosher flakes are fine enough to use in a saltshaker.
- Kosher Salt Flakes | Diamond Crystal Salt Co.
- Diamond Crystal | St. Clair Historical Museum – St. Clair, MI (historicstclair.com)
Pink Himalayan Salt: Is mined close to the Himalaya’s, often in Pakistan. Can contain grit.
Redmond Real Salt: Is mined from ancient deposits in Redmond, UT, United States. Can contain grit.
Sea Salt: Is harvested in many countries, including China, which is the world’s largest producer of salt. The problem with sea salt is because of rising pollution in the oceans; it can contain high amounts of microplastics made up of polymers like polyethylene, polyester, and polyvinyl chloride, as well as lead, arsenic, mercury, and other heavy metals. These contaminates have found their way into the food chain via the salt in our diets.
Celtic Sea Salt: Is a light grey moist salt that is harvested from the ocean near France. Crunchy crystals with a strong briny flavor. Too coarse and wet to come out of a saltshaker.
Fleur De Sel Sea Salt: Is harvested in parts of France.
We do need salt in our diet – but not too much. A healthy balanced diet with sufficient salt is the best. Health benefits of salt are:
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Balances electrolytes.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Regulates blood pressure.
- Aids blood sugar control.
- Maintains proper stomach Ph.
- Supports digestion.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Supports a healthy nervous system.
- Improves cardiovascular health.
- Prevents muscle cramps.
- Eases a sore throat.
- Relives stress.
- Improves sleep.
- Promotes a good mood.
- Salt is needed to form stomach acid, digest food, and absorb nutrients. It is also very beneficial for sports performance as it helps to boost blood volume, lowers heart rate, and reduces the rise in core body temperature with vigorous exercise.
- It makes food taste good.
How much sodium should I eat per day? | American Heart Association They recommend no more than 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day and moving toward an ideal limit of no more than 1,500 mg per day for most adults. The body needs only a small amount of sodium (less than 500 milligrams per day) to function properly. The decision of how much sodium to consume daily is between you, God, and your doctor. Many doctors suggest you consume salt when you desire it, just like you drink water when you are thirsty.
Too much salt causes you to overeat which is why most man-made foods are loaded with it. The medical profession tells us that eating more salt than what we need is linked to:
- Water retention.
- High LDL cholesterol.
- Weight gain and obesity.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure).
- Poor eyesight.
- Bloating and swelling.
- Heart disease.
- Kidney disease.
- Stomach cancer.
- Frequent urination.
- Depression and headaches.
- And many other aliments.
Here are a few tips to help you manage your salt intake:
Eat more fresh meat, fruits, salads, and vegetables. Skip salt filled processed foods, cured meats, canned goods, packaged items, and frozen foods, and spend more time in the produce aisle.
Read labels. Purchase items that have the amount of sodium labeled clearly.
Minimize salt. Avoid salt filled store bought dressings and condiments. Experiment with combining salt, herbs, and spices for flavoring, such as oregano, basil, garlic, thyme, chili powder, onion powder, rosemary, pepper, lemon juice etc.
Prepare your own meals. Restaurant items contain higher amounts of sodium to keep the food fresh. Cook your own food to control the sodium. Before eating out, check a restaurant’s nutritional menu online to find healthy selections.
Be mindful of natural sources of sodium. Meat, dairy products, and bread all contain sodium, so be sure to regulate your intake of these foods if you’re watching your salt intake.
Some links to help you manage your salt intake:
- Why You Should be Eating More (Good) Salt
- Interview with James J. DiNicolantonio on The Salt Fix – YouTube
- Sodium: How to tame your salt habit – Mayo Clinic
- Healthy Heart Market – Low Sodium, Sodium Free, & Gluten Free Foods
If Jesus said salt is good – it is. So, enjoy salt with your meals — just don’t overdo it!
Lower your sugar intake:
God never included processed sugars or sweeteners in our diet. There’s an increasing body of research that tells us that excess sugar could be as addictive as some street drugs and have similar effects on the brain. Consuming sugar and artificial sweeteners is bad for your health.
Sugar like salt causes you to overeat which is why many foods contain large amounts of sugar. The medical profession says that eating too much sugar can cause the following:
- Weight gain.
- Heart disease.
- High blood pressure.
- Premature aging.
- Lack of energy.
- Fatty liver.
- Kidney disease.
- Memory loss.
- Tooth decay and gum disease.
- Joint pain.
- Inability to sleep; insomnia.
- Weakened immune system.
- And many other ailments.
For these reasons, added sugar should be kept to a minimum whenever possible, which is easy when you follow a healthy diet based on whole foods. Added sugar and sweeteners come in many forms. Ingredients to look out for on a food label include:
- Brown sugar.
- Sucrose (table sugar).
- Corn sweetener.
- Corn syrup.
- High fructose corn syrup.
- Raw sugar.
- Malt syrup.
- Evaporated cane juice.
- Agave nectar.
- Fruit juice concentrates.
Avoid packaged and prepared foods as they contain added sugars. Added sugars are present in many processed foods and drinks. You can reduce the amount of added sugar you eat by:
- Checking food labels for sweeteners.
- Avoiding foods with added sugar.
- Avoiding processed foods and drinks in general.
- Side Effects of Eating Too Much Sugar, Say Dietitians | Eat This Not That
- Why is sugar bad for you? 5 reasons (medicalnewstoday.com)
- 16 Subtle Symptoms You’re Eating Too Much Sugar | Eat This Not That
- 12 Potential Signs You’re Eating Too Much Sugar | Everyday Health
- 4 ways sugar wrecks your sleep – The Sleep Doctor
Eating sugar releases opioids and dopamine in your body and gives you a high. If you say “I have a “sweet tooth” you are probably right! Therefore, you will have some withdrawal symptoms when you decide to give up processed sugar because it is addictive. To eliminate processed sugar, read your labels, and stop consuming foods and drinks that contain sugar. Before you know it your sugar habit will be a thing of the past.
Thankfully, there are many organic sugar-free products on super-market shelves you can purchase. Just be sure they don’t contain added sugars or artificial sweeteners.
- Added Sugars | American Heart Association
- Added sugars: Don’t get sabotaged by sweeteners – Mayo Clinic
- How To Stop Eating Sugar in 30 Easy Steps | Eat This Not That
- Reduce sugar | Heart and Stroke Foundation
Say NO to sugar!
Avoid artificial sweeteners:
Artificial (i.e. fake; phony, manufactured) sweeteners have terrible side effects and the FDA has approved many of them! Never eat or drink any products that contain artificial sweeteners such as:
- Acesulfame – approved by the FDA (marketed as Ace K, Sunett, Sweet One).
- Advantame – approved by FDA.
- Aspartame – approved by FDA (marketed as NutraSweet, Equal, Sugar Twin).
- Saccharin – approved by FDA (marketed as Sweet & Low, Sweet Twin, Necta Sweet).
- Stevioside – approved by the FDA (marketed as Stevia, Truvia).
- Sucralose – approved by FDA (marketed as Splenda, Canderel).
- Aspartame side effects: The truth about the risks (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Do Sweet ‘N Low Dangers Still Exist? | Everyday Health
- Stevia side effects: What you need to know (medicalnewstoday.com)
- 10 Concerning Side Effects of Artificial Sweeteners | Eat This Not That
Reject all fake man-made sweeteners and eat, God’s sweeteners, honey and fruit.
Sugar from honey and fruit:
Pro 24:13 Eat honey for it is good, and the honeycomb is sweet to your taste. The only sugar God gave us is natural sugar from fruit and honey. These natural unprocessed sugars were made by God, are pure, not processed in a lab, and do not have any additives.
Honey is a delicious replacement for processed sugar and artificial sweeteners. Local honey is the best. For optimal nutrition levels, sugars should be used in moderation. Pro 25:16 Have you found honey? eat as much as you need, or it will make you sick. Pro 25:27 It is not good to eat too much honey. In these two former verses God warns us of the dangers of consuming too much sugar.
If God wanted us to have a diet high in salt and sugar, He would have given us many more foods with high concentrations of sodium and sugar. However, we can see from the above information, nothing could be further from the truth.
God never recommended vinegar. Vinegars are essentially a dilute solution of acetic (ethanoic) acid in water. All vinegars are man-made by a fermentation process. Many vinegars contain sulphites which can cause adverse reactions.
Click on the links below to see the negative side effects of vinegars.
- Side effects of apple cider vinegar and how to use it safely (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Vinegar Allergy: Causes, Symptoms, and Alternatives (healthline.com)
- Frequent Urination and Vinegar | livestrong
- How Vinegar Can Damage Your Health – JennifersKitchen
- 14 Side Effects Of Apple Cider Vinegar; How To Use It Safely (womenshealthmag.com)
- Vinegar Allergy: Symptoms, Causes, What to Avoid, and More (verywellhealth.com)
In most dishes, you can subsitute lemon, made by God, for vinegar manufactured by man.
Discontinue or lower your caffeine intake:
God did not tell Adam and Eve to start their day with a cup of coffee!
This might surprise you, but medical science confirms that tea, coffee, soda, chocolate that contain the drug caffeine and other harmful ingredients are damaging to the human body. Among the foods that are most addictive, chocolate is at the top!
None of these products are good for your health. Stimulants give a damaging, artificial boost to the body. The popularity of these drinks is due not to flavor or advertising, but to the doses of caffeine and sugar they contain.
Caffeine has the following side effects:
- It stimulates the central nervous system.
- It affects the kidneys, increasing urination, which can lead to dehydration.
- It causes insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, stomach upset, nausea, ,vomiting, increased heart and breathing rate, and other side effects.
Many people are sickly because of their addiction to coffee, tea, chocolate, and soda drinks.
- A Life Without Caffeine l Ways to Reduce Caffeine l Replacing Caffeine – Beliefnet
- Caffeine: MedlinePlus
- Caffeine Side Effects – Mayo Clinic
- Caffeine: How does it affect blood pressure? – Mayo Clinic
Avoid all caffinated products.
How you should eat:
Psa 145:15 The eyes of all look to You, and You give them their food at the proper time.
- Always pray, bless the meal, and give God thanks for it.
- Plan your meals e.g. 7 am breakfast | 12 pm lunch | dinner at 5 pm. and snacks.
- Meal time should be a happy time. Ecc 3:13 Everyone should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God.
- Eat simple healthy meals at regular intervals. Ecc 10:17 Eat at the proper time.
- Eat slowly: Discipline yourself to relax as you eat.
- Don’t overeat. Practice moderation by eating less.
- Don’t overeat between meals or before bed.
- Practice self-control. Gal 5:3 The fruit of the Spirit is self-control.
- Turn off the TV, phone, and other electronics at meal times.
1Cor 10:31 Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
- Bible Diet Plan | Livestrong.com
- Healthy Snacking | American Heart Association
- Healthy eating basics | Heart and Stroke Foundation
Bon Appetite! (good appetite) ?
Get information on everything you eat and drink:
Protect your health! Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. You must inform yourself of food and drink items that are beneficial for you and those which are not. Psa 108:12 The help of man is useless. You must always trust God first before trusting in man. Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.
Beware of “buzz Words” on the front of products like Healthy, Natural, Free From…, Light, Low Calorie, Made with Vegetables, and Sea Salt are not always healthy. Even organic products can have bad ingredients. Shop like a nutritionist and read the labels on the back for the ingredients, nutrition facts, and calories.
You cannot always trust:
- Health food stores (as many sell alcohol and unhealthy products).
- Dietitians (as they recommend many unhealthy products).
- The media (as they advertise many unhealthy products).
- The medical profession (as they recommend many unhealthy products).
- The FDA (as they recommend many unhealthy products).
- Food labels (as they can be confusing and misleading). Beware of statements like “organic”, “natural”, “natural flavors”, or “natural spices” as manufacturers often hide bad ingredients.
Advantages of food labels:
- Can include sell by date, use by date, and expiration date.
- Information about ingredients.
- Information about the nutrition values.
- May raise the awareness of people regarding their diet.
- May motivate people to eat healthier.
- Information regarding portion sizes.
- Helpful information for people suffering from diseases.
- Crucial for allergy sufferers.
- Less obesity and diabetes.
- May increase overall health levels.
- People may also raise their children in a healthier manner.
Seek and you will find – Mat 7:7.
Start a food journal:
Analyze everything you eat and drink and write it down. There are several ways you can get information on manufactured products before you eat or drink them:
- Read and study food and drink product labels very carefully so you are not tricked by manufacturers.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website for information.
- Search the internet for reviews.
- Email or phone the manufacturer for more information.
Get answers to the following questions – all questions are very important:
- Is it organic?
- Is it non-GMO?
- Is it going to enhance my health?
- What are the benefits?
- What are the side effects?
- How much salt does it contain?
- How much sugar does it contain?
- How much added sugar does it contain?
- Does it contain artificial additives or colorings?
- Does it taste good?
KISS - keep It simple saints!
Rom 14:1. The kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
- Eating should be enjoyable – but not unhealthy!
- If God did not tell us to eat it – don’t eat it.
- Foods advertised by the media are not always healthy.
- Foods that “look good” are not always good for you (Gen 3:6).
- Foods that “taste good” are not always healthy.
- Products sold in health food stores are not always healthy.
- Products consumed by large numbers of people are not always healthy.
- If it is overly processed – don’t eat it.
- If it looks like it was made in a factory, it probably was – don’t eat it.
- If it has a long list of ingredients – don’t eat it.
- Discipline yourself to say no to poor quality food.
- Always pray about what, when, where, and how much you should eat.
- If you say, “I should not have eaten that” – don’t eat it again.
- If you say, “That food did not agree with me” – don’t eat it again.
- If you say “That gave me indigestion” – don’t eat it again.
- If you say, “I ate too much” – don’t overeat again.
- Desert the desserts loaded with salt, sugar and chemicals.
- Stop consuming unhealthy foods and drinks.
- Stop digging your grave with your knife and fork.
- Avoid the middle isles of the supermarket where all the chemical, salt, and sugar filled man-made processed, packaged products are.
- Why eat something called junk food? Junk is defined as poor quality, useless, and of little value. Junk food will give you junk health.
- Why would you eat or drink anything that is not good for your body or mind?
- Why would you want to trash your body?
- Why would you eat and drink unhealthily in God’s presence?
1Pe 5:7 Cast all your cares on Him because He cares for you. Deu 28:13 The Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you will only move upward and never downward, if you hear and carefully follow the commandments of the Lord your God, which I am giving you today.
Tips for eating out at restaurants:
When dining out most restaurants will gladly accommodate you when you make special requests.
- Read the restaurant’s website menu before you go.
- Phone ahead to ask the kitchen manager questions before you go.
- Avoid all you can eat unhealthy buffets.
- When you arrive ask for the manager and place your order.
- Ask for your food to be prepared without added salt, sugar, dairy, MSG etc.
- Skip the bread basket.
- Avoid sugar sweetened drinks.
- Avoid fried foods.
- Avoid meals with heavy sauces or dairy.
- Order soup and salad.
- Ask for salad dressings on the side.
- Select items that are steamed, grilled, broiled, baked, or roasted.
- Select lean cuts of meat with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Request olive oil, salt, lemons, honey, and herbs on the side instead of processed salad dressings. Also, you can take your own salt and herbs to the restaurant.
- Enjoy some fruit salad with some honey on the side.
- How To Eat Healthy At Restaurants
- Tricks to Eating Healthy While Eating Out (thehealthy.com)
- Dining Out Doesn’t Mean Ditch Your Diet | American Heart Association
Don’t be afraid to ask questions or make requests. You have not because you ask not – Jam 4:2.
Benefits of a healthy diet:
- More self esteem.
- Reduced the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and other diseases.
- Reduce high blood pressure.
- Lower high cholesterol.
- Increased focus.
- Better mood and energy levels.
- Better gut health.
- Better memory and brain health.
- Better sleep.
- Better heart health.
- Better self-control.
- Better witness for Jesus Christ.
- Weight loss.
- Stronger bones and teeth.
- Good immune system.
- Healthier skin and less wrinkles.
- Increased longevity.
- Encourages your family members and friends to eat healthy.
- More sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.
A strong and healthy body translates to a fuller, happier life. So while switching to a healthier diet is not always easy, the benefits are definitely worth it.
Eating healthy is enjoyable. It is not about being on a short term “diet” that is overly restrictive and leaves you hungry all the time. Instead, find a way of eating that can be sustained for the rest of your life. 1Ti 6:17 God richly provides us with everything to enjoy.
Remember, you reap what you eat! Gal 6:7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a person sows, that they will also reap.
Change is good:
Jer 29:11 I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope.
It is never too late to change even if you were raised on an unhealthy diet or have developed bad eating habits. You can expect some amazing results as you follow God’s diet for man. Take control of your life and health by designing the following printable lists on your computer, tablet, or phone. These lists will save you time as you can edit, add, or delete items and print new lists anytime.
1. Design a “Healthy Shopping List” and include all the categories and products you buy. The purpose of this list is as follows:
- You make healthier food choices.
- You can research a product to see if it is healthy before adding it to your list.
- You won’t forget to buy products.
- You can easily modify the list.
- You save money by not buying products you don’t need.
- You save time by knowing exactly what products to buy.
- You save money on gas by going to the grocery store once a week.
- You only buy what you need and won’t waste food.
- You can plan your meals in advance.
- You lower stress, are more focused, and happier.
Click here to open a sample Healthy Shopping List.
2. Design a “Healthy Weekly Meal Plan” for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and light snacks. The purpose of this plan is as follows:
- You make healthier choices.
- You make the meals you love.
- You become more creative with meals.
- You never run out of ingredients.
- You exercise portion control.
- You save money and helps with your budget.
- You save time.
- You reduce stress.
- You stop wasting food.
- You can buy all your groceries once a week.
- You are less likely to forget things.
- You can easily update the list.
- You become more organized which makes you happier.
Sample Weekly Meal Plan
Design a plan with no fried food, low fat, low carb, no processed sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no chemicals, and healthy ingredients made by God. The following is a sample weekly meal plan:
- Hot steamed rice or hot or cold oatmeal with blueberries, strawberries, mango, black berries, banana, dried raisins, coconut milk (no guar gum), sweetened with honey or apple sauce.
- Toast with almond, cashew, or peanut butter, with a banana or jelly (sweetened with fruit juice).
- Fresh fruit salad sprinkled with raw nuts and honey.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Tuna, salmon, chicken, or turkey sandwich, wrap, or salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, salt, lemon, honey).
- Home made soup with toast.
- Serving of dried nuts and fruit (no sugar or sulphur added).
- Fresh fruit salad sprinkled with raw nuts and honey.
- A serving of grilled tuna, salmon, cod, haddock, grilled chicken, turkey, lamb or beef.
- Salad with homemade dressing (olive oil, salt, lemon, honey).
- A serving of baked or steamed aparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, corn on cob, green beans, red or sweet potato etc. Or a serving of mixed vegetables.
- Bread on the side.
- Fresh fruit salad sprinkled with raw nuts and honey.
Pro 21:5 The plans of the diligent lead to profit. Pro 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and He will make your paths straight.
In Biblical times people were more active. They walked everywhere and they did not own TV’s. A recent study stated that sitting indoors is the new smoking! Your body requires movement to promote health and good posture.
The medical profession tells us that exercise has the following benefits:
- Increases happiness.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Reduces stress, worry, tension, and anxiety.
- Reduces aging.
- Reduces chronic pain the risk of chronic disease.
- Strengthens muscles and bones.
- Improves concentration, memory, and mood.
- Controls weight.
- Boosts immune system.
- Increase cardio-vascular health.
- Increases energy levels.
- Increases lifespan.
- Improves skin health.
- Improves relaxation and sleep quality.
- Improves self-confidence.
Don’t be a couch potato! Stay active!
How to make exercise a part of your regular routine:
Make everyday activities more active. Even small changes can help. You can take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk down the hall to a coworker’s office instead of sending an email. Wash the car yourself. Park further away from your destination.
Be active with friends and family. Having a workout partner may make you more likely to enjoy exercise. You can also plan social activities that involve exercise. You might also consider joining an exercise group or class, such as a dance class, hiking club, or volleyball team.
Keep track of your progress. Keeping a log of your activity or using a fitness tracker may help you set goals and stay motivated.
Make exercise more fun. Try listening to music or watching TV while you exercise. Also, mix things up a little bit – if you stick with just one type of exercise, you might get bored. Try doing a combination of activities.
Find activities that you can do even when the weather is bad. You can walk in a mall, climb stairs, or work out in a gym even if the weather stops you from exercising outside.
God wants you to stay busy for Him:
- Go (move out from where you are at) into all the world and preach the Good News (Mar 16:17).
- In Him we live and move and have our being (Act 17:28).
- Walk by faith (2Co 5:7).
- Live by faith (Rom 1:17).
- Serve the Lord Jesus Christ (Col 3:4).
- Faith without works (actions) is dead (Jam 2:26).
Stay active for Jesus. 1Co 6:19 Glorify God in your body. Col 1:11 That you might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God.
- Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity – Mayo Clinic
- The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise – HelpGuide.org
- The benefits of exercise for your physical and mental health (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Getting Started – Tips for Long-term Exercise Success | American Heart Association
You can be more productive for God when you are healthy and strong.
God created us outdoors, not indoors. God enjoys the outdoors, Gen 3:8 The Lord God walked in the garden in the cool of the day.
Fresh air is natural and uplifting. 60 studies found that time outside helped mental and physical health. There are few simple pleasures in life that feel quite as nice as stepping outside and getting a deep breath of fresh air. Science shows that going outside does more than just feel good, too — it can have some very surprising health benefits as follows:
- It energizes and sharpens your mind.
- Clears your lungs.
- Gives you more energy and mental focus.
- Lowers your blood pressure and heart rate.
- Helps you heal faster.
- Helps improve your digestion.
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
- Keep or improve your physical abilities (how well you can use your body to do things).
- Improve balance, lower risk of falls and broken bones.
- Keep muscles from wasting due to inactivity.
- Lower the risk of heart disease.
- Lessen the risk of osteoporosis (weak bones that are more likely to break).
- Improve blood flow to your legs and lower the risk of blood clots.
- Make you less dependent on others for help with normal activities of daily living.
- Improve your self-esteem.
- Lower the risk of being anxious and depressed.
- Lessen nausea.
- Improve your ability to keep social contacts.
- Lessen symptoms of tiredness (fatigue).
- Help you control your weight.
- Elevates your mood and makes you happier.
- Bolsters your immune system.
- Improve your quality of life.
Remember, getting outside even if it is for 5 minutes can be very important as a way to re-energize, focus and spark creativity. Build it into your routine just as you would fit in a lunch break.
There’s no doubt that fresh air is good for you. Those who get outside and breathe fresh (clean) air on a regular basis have been shown to have stronger immune systems than those who stay indoors. This means less illness overall, as your body has an easier time fighting off germs before they invade and take over. If you want to keep yourself well, make it a point to get outside and breathe deep.
There is nothing worse than being stuck indoors for long periods of time. We all need fresh air; our bodies crave the oxygen and the good feelings that come with it. Not only will you feel better, but you may boost your health for a lifetime.
- Health Benefits of Getting Outside (webmd.com)
- Get Some Fresh Air – Cardiovascular Medicine | NE Florida (firstcoastcardio.com)
Make some time in your life to get outside and breathe some fresh air. Your body and your mind will thank you in the long run.
When you think of the sun, your first thought might be about the damage it can do. And too much can cause several kinds of serious health issues. But small amounts, especially early in the day before it’s at its brightest, can be good for you.
The sun’s UV rays help your body make vitamin D, which is important for your bones, blood cells, and immune system. It also helps you take in and use certain minerals, like calcium and phosphorus.
The sun’s UV rays help your body make vitamin D, which is important for your bones, blood cells, and immune system. It also helps you take in and use certain minerals, like calcium and phosphorus.
The medical profession tells us the benefits of sunshine:
- Improves sleep quality. Early morning sunlight in particular seems to help people get to sleep at night.
- Stimulates your brain function.
- Gives you healthy skin.
- Reduces stress.
- Improves bone health.
- Relieves pain.
- Helps keep weight off.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Fights off depression.
- Helps you a live longer.
- Increases energy.
- Helps reduce blood pressure.
- Helps wounds to heal.
- Enhances your emotional well-being and improves your mood.
Sunlight helps boost a chemical in your brain called serotonin, and that can give you more energy and help keep you calm, positive, and focused.
How much sunshine is enough?
To receive vitamin D spend 10-15 minutes in the sun 3-4 days a week before 10 am. Try to stay out of the direct sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun’s rays are strongest, and take breaks inside.
- What are the health benefits of sunlight? (medicalnewstoday.com)
- 7 Health Benefits of Sunlight (selecthealth.org)
- How Little Doses of Sunlight Help the Body (webmd.com)
- Summer Countdown: 9 Health Benefits of Sunshine | Health News Hub
- Reduces Cancer Risk from 15 Health Benefits of Sunshine (theactivetimes.com)
It’s very important to use sunscreen or cover up if you’re going to be outside longer than 15 minutes. You need sunglasses that block UV light and broad-brimmed hats whenever you’re outside for a while. The sun can damage your eyes any time, not just in summer, and the rays can pass right through clouds.
Rest, Relaxation, & Sleep
The medical profession tells us the benefits of rest, relaxation, and sleep:
- Slows heart rate.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Slows breathing rate.
- Improves digestion.
- Maintains normal blood sugar levels.
- Reduces activity of stress hormones.
- Increases blood flow to major muscles.
- Reduces muscle tension and chronic pain.
- Improves concentration and mood.
- Boosts immune system.
- Boosts confidence.
Don’t overwork! Balance work and activity with sleep and relaxation. Exo 20:9-10 Six days you will labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you will not do any work.
Schedule time to rest and relax. Taking a break from intense thinking and relaxing our mind can help us to generate new ideas and have a new perspective on things, thereby making us more productive. MAR 6:31 (Jesus-disciples) Come aside by yourselves to a quiet place and rest a while.
Mat 11:28 Come to me all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
How to know if you’re getting enough sleep:
The medical professionals say adults need 6-7 hours per night to function at their best. To find out whether you’re getting enough sleep at night, ask yourself:
- Do you feel healthy and happy on your current sleep schedule?
- Do you feel like you get enough sleep to be productive?
- Do you ever feel sleepy when going about your day?
- Do you rely on caffeine to get through the day?
- Is your sleep schedule fairly regular, even on weekends?
Psa 127:2 It is useless for you to get up early and stay up late working for food to eat; for He gives sleep to those He loves.
Common signs that you haven’t gotten enough sleep include:
- Feeling drowsy or falling asleep during the day, especially during calm activities like sitting in a movie theater or driving.
- Falling asleep within 5 minutes of lying down.
- Short periods of sleep during waking hours.
- Needing an alarm clock to wake up on time every day.
- Feeling groggy when you wake up in the morning or throughout the day (sleep inertia).
- Having a hard time getting out of bed every day.
- Mood changes.
- Trouble focusing on a task.
- Sleeping more on days when you don’t have to get up at a certain time.
Pro 3:4 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.
The effects of sleep deprivation. Too little sleep can cause:
- Memory problems.
- Feelings of depression.
- Lack of motivation.
- Slower reaction times.
- A weakened immune system, raising your chances of getting sick.
- Stronger feelings of pain.
- Higher chances of conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, or obesity.
- Wrinkled skin and dark circles under your eyes.
- Overeating and weight gain.
- Trouble solving problems and making decisions.
- Bad decision-making.
Psa 4:8 I will lie down in and sleep in peace; for You alone O Lord make me dwell in safety.
Driving when you do not have enough sleep is dangerous:
Since drowsiness is the brain’s last step before falling asleep, driving while drowsy can — and often does — lead to disaster.
The National Sleep Foundation says you’re probably too drowsy to drive safely if you:
- Have trouble keeping your eyes focused.
- Can’t stop yawning.
- Can’t remember driving the past few miles.
- Are daydreaming and have wandering thoughts.
- Have trouble holding your head up.
- Are drifting in and out of lanes.
If you are drowsy or tired – don’t drive – have someone else drive.
How to get the sleep you need:
If you cannot sleep – try counting your blessings!Healthy habits can help you sleep better and longer.
Give yourself time to sleep. A busy schedule can make it hard to get a good night’s sleep.
Keep a sleep schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
Create a sleep sanctuary. Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and at a comfortable temperature. Use it only for sleep and quiet activities like reading. Turn TVs, cell phones, and other electronic devices off at least one hour before going to sleep.
Have a bedtime routine. Avoid bright lights, large meals, and caffeine before bed. Try things to help you relax, like a hot bath or reading your Bible.
Exercise. Get about 30 minutes a day, at least 5 hours before bed.
Nap if you must. Aim for no more than 30 minutes so you don’t wake up groggy or mess up your sleep schedule.
Don’t force it. If you find yourself lying awake, get up and do something quiet, like reading, until you feel sleepy. Keeping a diary may put nagging thoughts to bed.
Talk to your doctor. A medical condition might be causing your sleep problems.
Psa 3:5 I lay down and sleep and I awake for the Lord sustains me.
- The Benefits of Getting a Full Night’s Sleep | SCL Health
- 7 Surprising Health Benefits to Getting More Sleep (webmd.com)
- Sleep tips: 6 steps to better sleep – Mayo Clinic
- 5 ways to sleep more soundly – Mayo Clinic
If you cannot sleep – try counting your blessings!
A good, hearty laugh leaves your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after. When you start to laugh, it doesn’t just lighten your load mentally, it actually induces physical changes in your body. Laughter can: Stimulate many organs. Laughter enhances your intake of oxygen-rich air, stimulates your heart, lungs and muscles, and increases the endorphins that are released by your brain.
Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hope, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.
Benefits of laughter:
The medical profession and scientists tell us the following:
Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems. Pro 15:13 A merry heart makes a happy face.
Laughter burns calories. Okay, so it’s no replacement for going to the gym, but one study found that laughing for 10 to 15 minutes a day can burn approximately 40 calories—which could be enough to lose three or four pounds over the course of a year.
Laughter lightens anger’s heavy load. Nothing diffuses anger and conflict faster than a shared laugh. Looking at the funny side can put problems into perspective and enable you to move on from confrontations without holding onto bitterness or resentment.
Laughter may even help you to live longer. A study in Norway found that people with a strong sense of humor outlived those who don’t laugh as much. The difference was particularly notable for those battling cancer. Pro 17:22, A merry heart does good like a medicine: but a broken spirit dries the bones.
Laughter stops distressing emotions. You can’t feel anxious, angry, or sad when you’re laughing.
Laughter helps you relax and recharge. It reduces stress and increases energy, enabling you to stay focused and accomplish more.
Laughter shifts perspective, allowing you to see situations in a more realistic, less threatening light. A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and diffuse conflict.
Laughter draws you closer to others, which can have a profound effect on all aspects of your mental and emotional health.
How to bring more laughter into your life:
Smile. Smiling is the beginning of laughter, and like laughter, it’s contagious. When you look at someone or see something even mildly pleasing, practice smiling. Instead of looking down at your phone, look up and smile at your loved ones, friends, people you pass in the street, or the co-workers you share an elevator with. Notice the effect on others.
Count your blessings. Literally make a list. The simple act of considering the positive aspects of your life will distance you from negative thoughts that block humor and laughter. When you’re in a state of sadness, you have further to travel to reach humor and laughter.
When you hear laughter, move toward it. Sometimes humor and laughter are private, a shared joke among a small group, but usually not. More often, people are very happy to share something funny because it gives them an opportunity to laugh again and feed off the humor you find in it. When you hear laughter, seek it out and ask, “What’s funny?”
Spend time with fun, playful people. These are people who laugh easily–both at themselves and at life’s absurdities–and who routinely find the humor in everyday events. Their playful point of view and laughter are contagious. Even if you don’t consider yourself a lighthearted, humorous person, you can still seek out people who like to laugh and make others laugh. Every comedian appreciates an audience.
Bring humor into conversations. Ask people, “What’s the funniest thing that happened to you today? This week? In your life?”
Humor and laughter in relationships allows you to:
Be more spontaneous. Humor gets you out of your head and away from your troubles.
Let go of defensiveness. Laughter helps you forget resentments, judgments, criticisms, and doubts.
Release inhibitions. Your fear of holding back is pushed aside.
Express your true feelings. Deeply felt emotions are allowed to rise to the surface.
- Stress relief from laughter? It’s no joke – Mayo Clinic
- Laughter is the Best Medicine – HelpGuide.org
- 10+ Scientifically Proven Ways Laughter Can Relieve Stress | University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (usa.edu)
Pro 15:15 The person with a merry heart has a continual feast – so stop snacking! Neh 8:10 The joy of the Lord is your strength.
Jesus came to give us peace. Luk 2:14 Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Pro 23:7 As you think within your heart so you are. The Bible says a lot about controlling your thoughts. Your thoughts direct every aspect of your life.
God created us to be blessed – not stressed: Joh 20:29 Blessed are those who have not seen, and yet have believed.
God did not create us to live with fear: 2Ti 1:7 God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
God did not create us for worry: Mat 6:25 Don’t worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not the life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Your life is more important than food and clothing.
Worry defined: to be troubled, distressed, fearful, fretful, nervous, anxious, tense or depressed. What worry is:
- Worry is struggling inwardly to fix something all by yourself.
- Worry is trying to play like you are God in your own mind.
- Worry is an exhausting exercise in futility.
- Worry is a great excuse to feel sorry for yourself.
- Worry is a self-centered attempt to gain attention from someone… anyone will do, thank you!
- Worry is stubborn refusal to turn something or someone, over to God.
- Worry is a not-so-brilliant way to waste time and energy.
- Worry is pride!
- Worry is self-inflicted torture and torment. AN obvious bid for attention.
- Worry is focusing on the things that you CANNOT change, instead of focusing on the things you CAN.
- Worry is trying to change things by yourself instead of trying to change your attitude.
- Worry is concentrating on the circumstances outside instead of the Greater
- Worry is concentrating on your own inability rather than God’s supernatural ability.
- Worry is sinful as it is fearful expectation over what may or may not happen.
- Worry is faith in fear. demonstrates a lack of faith in God and His Word.
- Worry changes nothing for whatever is going to happen cannot be prevented by worry.
- Worry is pointless because if something doesn’t happen, it proves there was nothing to worry about in the first place!
- Worry can only make things worse….JOB 3:25 For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.
- Worry promotes sickness….“I worried myself sick!” (stress” related diseases)
- Worry promotes premature death….“He/she worried themselves to death!”
- Worry is useless as it robs one of strength and optimism.
- Worry is the interest we pay on tomorrow’s troubles.
- Worry is contagious so stay away from habitual worriers.
- Worry is always condemned by God.
- Worry is negative and therefore it neutralizes personal faith in God. “If we worry, we can’t trust; if we trust, we can’t worry.”
God does not want you to worry: Most of the trouble in your life never happened. 90% of the things you worry about never happen and the other 10% would have happened anyway – so why worry. Worry slanders every promise in the word of God.
Mat 6:26-34 Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap, or store in barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are’nt you much valuable than they? Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Birds and flowers don’t worry so why should you? You are more important! Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith. So do not worry, saying, What will we eat?, what will we drink? or what wiall we wear? For these things do the Gentiles seek; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them will not fall on the ground wiyout your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Therefore, do not fear, you are of more value than many sparrows. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for it will have it”s own worries. Each day has enough worries of its own.
Said the Robin to the Sparrow, “I should really like to know why these anxious human beings rush about and hurry so.” Said the Sparrow to the Robin, “Friend, I think that it must be that they have no Heavenly Father. Such as cares for you and me!”
If God takes care of birds and flowers that never buy, sell, work or build, how much more will he take care of you! Mar 4:19 The cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. Luk 21:34 Take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be burdened with cares of this life. Psa 55:22 Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken.
How to control your thoughts: 2Co 10:4-5 The weapons of our warfare are not worldly but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds. Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
Pro 16:3 Commit your works to the Lord, and thy thoughts will be established.
Pro 27:1 Do not boast about of tomorrow; for you do not know what a day may bring forth. Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday. When you worry you cannot change yesterday or tomorrow, you just mess up today! Live one day at a time. Don’t worry about yesterday, today, or tomorrow.
Cure for worry: Psa 37:3-8 Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will do it. He will bring forth your righteousness like the dawn, your justice like the noonday sun. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when people prosper in their ways, when they carry out wicked schemes. Refrain from anger and abandon wrath; do not fret—it can only bring harm.
Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, believe also in me. v27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Phi 4:6-7 Be careful (Gk. Troubled or anxious) for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 1Pe 5:7 Cast all your cares on him; for he cares for you.
Psa 55:22 Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall.
Jesus takes the stress out of daily living: Mat 11:28-30 Come unto me, all that labor and are heavy laden (Gk. weary, tired, grieved, exhausted) and I will give you rest. Take my yoke (Gk. any burden or bondage) upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and will find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report; virtuous and praiseworthy – Phi 4:8.
Stay hydrated. 60% of the body is made up of water. Every system in your body needs water to function. How much water should you drink a day? You probably know that it’s important to drink plenty of fluids when the temperatures soar outside. But staying hydrated is a daily necessity, no matter what the thermometer says.
- What Happens When You Don’t Drink Enough Water | Eat This Not That
- Benefits of Drinking Water for Skin, Digestion, Weight and More – Dr. Axe (draxe.com)
- 15 benefits of drinking water and other water facts (medicalnewstoday.com)
Keeping hydrated is crucial for health and well-being, but many people do not consume enough fluids each day because drinking enough water is not at the top of many people’s priorities.
The medical profession lists the benefits of drinking water:
- Increases brain power.
- Boosts energy.
- Boosts immune system.
- Regulates body temperature.
- Delivers oxygen throughout the body
- Promotes healthy weight management and weight loss.
- Flushes out toxins.
- Improves your complexion.
- Prevents constipation by flushing body waste.
- Maintains blood pressure.
- Lubricates joints.
- Prevents bad breath.
- Prevents headaches, cramps and sprains.
- Prevents kidney damage.
- Puts you in a good mood.
What about the advice to drink 8 glasses a day? You’ve probably heard the advice to drink eight glasses of water a day. That’s easy to remember, and it’s a reasonable goal.
Most healthy people can stay hydrated by drinking water and other fluids whenever they feel thirsty. For some people, fewer than eight glasses a day might be enough. But other people might need more.
You don’t need to rely only on water to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and spinach, are almost 100% water by weight. In addition, beverages such as milk, juice, and herbal teas are composed mostly of water.
Mat 6:17-18 When you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face. so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you openly.
- Water Fasting Benefits, Dangers and Tips – Dr. Axe (draxe.com)
- 10 Benefits of Fasting That Will Surprise You (lifehack.org)
- 9 Science-Backed Benefits of Fasting (greatist.com)
Spiritual and health benefits of fasting:
- Brings you closer to God.
- Helps personal discipline and self-control.
- Delays aging and increases longevity.
- Increases body’s resistance to stress.
- Improves brain function.
- Prevents diseases.
- Improves immune system.
- Helps in weight loss.
- Helps maintain internal organs and skin.
1. Water fasting. Involves only drinking water for one or more days.
2. Partial fasting. Involves abstaining from certain foods or drinks for one or more days – (Dan 1:12-16).
Isa 43:19 Behold, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you not see it? Indeed, I will make a way in the wilderness and streams in the desert.
What lifestyle changes you decide to make are between you, God, and your doctor. The above information is very easy to put into effect and the good news is it’s very inexpensive. The only things you have to buy are food and water. Changing your lifestyle is far better and cheaper than visiting your doctor, taking medications, or having surgery.
Remember, you are your best doctor! So, start to practice the following today and within several weeks you will notice a big difference in your physical and mental health:
- God’s Diet for Man
- Fresh air
- Rest, Relaxation, and Sleep
- Drinking Water
A healthy lifestyle will promote good health and prolong your life. 1Th 5:23 May the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again.
You have God on your side to help you and teach you – John 16:13 The Spirit of truth will guide you into all the truth.
Below are some Bible verses to encourage you:
- Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- Mar 9:23 All things are possible to the person who believes.
- Mar 10:27 All things are possible with God.
- Isa 41:10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
- Psa 121:2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Health page disclaimer
This page provides general health advice to encourage people to take better care of themselves. The information on this page, or links to other pages or websites, is not a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment. If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. You assume full responsibility for using the information on this page, and you understand and agree that Frank Butler Ministries Inc. is not responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage resulting from its use by you.